[adsensea]Monsieur and I got ourselves a 10 course degustation from Groupon for Crane bar and restaurant, a Japanese restaurant… and it was value for money! Well executed dishes with very delicate flavour left us craving for more!
We paid 69 dollars for two, and the deal included a glass of wine and a cocktail each… Extremely great value!
1. Scallops Ponzu – scallops with yuzu Ponzu
I’m a Japanese fanatic. I love everything about Japanese food. Astonishingly, I had never had raw scallop before… until today. Now, I’m completely crazy about it! The scallop was melting in my mouth. It had an incredible softness. Probably the best raw food I’ve ever had.
2. Sashimi New Style – seared sashimi with tosazu jelly
Yum sashimi, the fish was carefully seared.
3. Kangaroo Tataki – thinly sliced seared kangaroo on pita bread
I’m not a huge Kangaroo fan, as I find the meat to be overpowering in taste… That said, I could not tell it was kangaroo… which to me… was actually a good sign!
4. Prawn Cigar – spicy prawn in crisp wonton wrappers
This dish was pleasant but without an oompf factor. Could have done it at home.
5. Seafood Salad – seafood ceviche salad… replaced by Kaarage Chicken (!)
Not sure what happened in the kitchen, but we did not get the seafood ceviche advertised by Groupon. Instead, we were given Karaage Chicken. Though the fried chicken was tasty, it did not particularly showcase much skills to me. Wouldn’t do this one at home for smell purpose, but like the wonton wrappers, this is something one could easily do at home or find at a cheaper price some place else.
6. Moreton Bay Bug – served with miso emulsion sauce
The Moreton Bay Bug is the go to dish, it is simply stunning and the taste was spot on. I did not want to swallow it as it was too good!
7. Duck – truffle honey duck with citrus salad
The duck is stunning, there’s that touch of sweetness brought by honey, and the orange reminds me of the good old classic canard à l’orange… Mh… I miss home!
8. Ocean Trout – oven grilled ocean trout with sweet miso
The oven grilled trout en papillote looked much better wrapped than unwrapped. I love miso fish, have attempted to cook some back home and attempts were actually quite successful… It’s all about the marinade and the patience. Does take time for the fish to soak in that goodness (miso + mirin + olive oil). I’ll try and post that recipe on to the website soon!
9. Fire Crunch Roll – spicy tuna, cucumber, mayo with spicy tobiko and tempura crunch
The Fire Crunch Roll is nowhere near the spiciness I had imagined. It’s nice and crunchy on top, but the spiciness is a low key one… And that’s actually a relief for Monsieur’s palate, for he cannot accomodate too much of spiciness!
10. Dessert – chef-made chocolate pot, replaced by pieces of brownies and vanilla ice cream
The dessert doesn’t look Japanese… and nor does it taste Japanese at all. They could have added some sake jelly for a twist, or put some green tea ice cream as opposed to the Vanilla one! Nice brownies, but a bit of a let down considering some amazing dishes we have had on the night!